The next time you go to throw away an empty cereal box, think about making this fun craft instead. Bumblebees are wonderful, colorful animals to make out of any material, but making them out of something you already have lying around the house is better. You’ll be able to display your bumblebee around the house, and not worry about it flying around and scaring your children!
For this craft, you will need:
- One empty cereal box
- Black construction paper
- Yellow construction paper
- Red and white paint
- Black pipe cleaners
- Glue stick
- Cotton ball
- Googly eyes
To make the craft:
1. First, if the cereal bag is still in side the box, remove it.
2. Using the pen, draw a line about one forth of the way down the box. This is where you will start making the bumblebee’s stripes. The space above the line will be for the bee’s face.
3. Begin to cut out even strips from the black and yellow construction paper. Once you have enough strips to cover the box, begin to glue them on. Alternate between gluing the yellow and black strips. Cover from the division line all the way down to the bottom.
4. Paint the top portion of the cereal box white and wait for it to dry. Stick on the googly eyes and paint a red nose and smiley mouth.
5. Stick two pipe cleaner antennas into the top of the box, and glue a cotton ball onto the back for the bumblebee’s end.
Photo © Dave Massey – Fotolia.com